My Visitation Rights Denied: Should I Call the Police?

Unfortunately, completion of your divorce, by obtaining a sealed decree, is only the beginning of a nightmare, especially for if you have Children.

I have in previous discussion, shared my view on 'Are You Getting Your Visitation Rights'. After receiving overwhelming enquiries on this issue, I've decided to deal further in denied visitation rights of a non-custodial parent.

WHAT IS YOUR VISITATION RIGHTS? First of all, you will need to know if your visitation rights is provided explicitly in your Decree Nisi / Order. If yes, then you are only allowed to visit your children on the day/time as provided in the Decree Nisi/Order. Of course, if your spouse/ex-spouse (the custodial parent) generously grant you extra visitation rights, then it is not an issue. However, if they refused you to visit the Children on the day/time in which is expressly provided in the Decree Nisi/Order, then your visitation rights has been denied.

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR VISITATION RIGHTS IS DENIED? Many people have asked me if they should call the police? With a valid Court Order/Decree Nisi, you may choose to do so but that is very dependable on the attitude and approach of the police officers.  Police officers might not want to get involved in a family law dispute unless the conduct rises to a criminal conduct i.e. child abuse/kidnapping. However. there are also police officers out there who are willing to intervene by contacting the custodial parent to advise them on the implication of such denial.

For consultation on your visitation rights, click here.

Family & Divorce Legal Issues
  • Facebook
Recent Posts
Malaysia Divorce Law
Navigate Your Family & Divorce with Malaysia Divorce Law, your trusted site for family & divorce information and resources in Malaysia